Monday 4 January 2010

2009 ringing

I started ringing on my own on May 1 and managed 1193 birds and pulli caught and processed - this included 126 retraps. I also did some ringing with Steve Hales my trainer at the Abbotsbury Swannery, with Terry and the Radipole Ringing Group and a trip with the Axe Estuary Ringing Group - together the 2009 year total was 1344 birds caught, processed or ringed.


The majority of the DT2 birds were caught in Martinstown. I had always assumed I would catch breeding and resident birds but it turns out there is a little migration corridor through the village as the birds seem to follow the South Winterborne River. Some more detail about 891 birds caught in Martinstown over the next few weeks but a couple of grasshopper warblers, 10 garden warblers, 6 sedge warblers and a reed warbler through August and September indicate there is something going on!

No comments:

Post a Comment